Sunday, April 26, 2009

Cars, Keys, and Pregnancy Brain

Cars, keys, and pregnancy brain. Yes, they are all related. Let me tell you how:

Ben plays soccer on Sundays. Today is Sunday, so he had a soccer game. I dropped him off, ran to Old Navy, and then came back. Ellie had fallen asleep in the car, so I decided to park, turn on the air, read my fantastic book (George Orwell's 1984), and wait until she woke up. I figured that it would be silly to have the car all the way on, as I was not driving, so I just turned it on "partially" so I could have some air. I thought this was a good idea, and that I was conserving energy, gas, and whatever else might possibly be associated with having the car "fully on". Afterall, who doesn't like to "be green"?

Then, my car died. Oops. Mistake #1.

Ellie wakes up, I go tell Ben what happened. He said "you're not supposed to do that". I replied. "No one told me!"

After the game in which they lost :( I go to find my keys. They aren't in my purse. I reluctantly ask Ben if he took them, and then looked all around. They were nowhere to be found. Someone sarcastically suggests that they are probably in the ignition in my car. That's ridiculous! I would never do that! Ben headed to the car, and found my keys in my ignition. For real. Mistake #2.

He and I both decided to blame the baby for stealing my brain, and all was good. A nice trip to Starbucks followed, and now we are at home resting from a long, but wonderful day.

7 comments:

laura said...

That's okay... I just washed my t.v. remote in the washer with a load of laundry, and I'm not even pregnant... Jay is currently taking it all apart in an attempt to dry it out and salvage it. These guys would have nothing to do with their day without us!

laura said...

oh... I hear the blow dryer now.

shontell said...

lol. nice! My first week of driving, I locked my keys in my car twice, got a ticket twice, and ran out of gas twice. My boyfriend finally lost his cool when I insisted he syphon gas from some shady men near where my car died. He did it, but took a mouthful of gas. I wished I was blonde at that moment.

Tmoneyreno said...

well I didn't know that you weren't supposed to sit with the car partially on. doesn't everyone do that? As long as you don't leave Ellie in the car, I say good!!

miss jessica said...

Laura- how'd the remote end up in there? Ellie puts our toothbrushes and anything else she can get her hands on into our laundry baskets. I'm surprised I haven't washed something similar.
Shontell- I locked my keys in my car the FIRST DAY I got my license. My week wasn't as eventful as yours though.
Tmoney- I thought everyone did that as well. Apparently that whole battery thing is an issue.

TimmyMac said...

I just locked my keys in the car last month . . . Haven't done that for literally 30 years . . . Cost me $60 and an earful from Sue . . .

Back in the days of VCR's, by first two kids always like to stick toys, spoons, etc. in the VCR to see if they would play . . . Good times . . .

digapigmy said...

I learned about the principle of limited battery power when I was in 5th or 6th grade at church. My parent always took forever to leave, so I would go to the car and listen to the radio. One night, they took a particularly long time . . . and the car wouldn't start. Now I almost never do that even though it takes quite a long time (unless you're using the AC, of course).